Cauliflower and Spinach Cheese Pies
Ingredients – Crust
175g spelt flour (use wholemeal or gluten free if you prefer)
70g vegan butter
1.5 tsp baking powder
Generous pinch of Himalayan or sea salt
30ml unsweetened milk
Method – Crust
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the butter and stir in with a wooden spoon then use your hands and rub flour and butter together until you have a breadcrumb like mixture.
- Pour in the milk and stir in, once absorbed use your hands again and kneed until you have a ball of pastry. Sprinkle flour onto a clean work surface and roll the ball so its (approx) ½ cm thick.
- Using your pastry tin cut out the shape and press into the tin and use the remaining pastry to form the sides.
Ingredients – Filling
2 cups of cooked cauliflower
½ chopped onion
1 cup of baby leaf spinach
1 crushed garlic clove
Generous pinch of salt and black pepper
½ cup of plant-milk
½ cup of vegan cream
½ cup of grated mature vegan cheddar
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
¼ tsp xanthan gum to thicken (use 1 tsp of the flour as an alternative)
Method – Filling
- Preheat oven 200ºC/392ºF/gas mark 6. Add 1 tbsp oil to a pan and brown the onion and garlic on a medium heat.
- Pour in the milk and cream and bring to a simmer. Add the cheese and melt. Add salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and xanthan gum and stir vigorously.
- Add the cooked cauliflower and uncooked spinach and stir until spinach slightly wilts.
- Pour into your pie case or cases and sprikle with more grated cheese. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes. The top of the pie should look golden brown. Be careful removing from the hot tins and serve immediately.